Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Rosemary Cheese Bread


We had this along with steaks, wild rice and salad last night for dinner.

I really love this bread. It is very dense so if you prefer the light as air, melt in your mouth type breads, this may not be for you. You can throw this together fairly quickly and tweak the seasonings to your liking.


Rosemary Cheese Bread~

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 Tbsp sugar

3/4 - 1 tsp ground black pepper

1 Tbsp dried rosemary

1 Tbsp dried minced onion

1 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

2 eggs (beaten)

1 cup plain yogurt

1/2 cup oil

1/4 cup cream (or milk)

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese


Preheat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of 8x4x2 loaf pan. Combine 1st 8 ingredients. Make a "well" in the center of mixture. In another bowl combine eggs, yogurt, oil and cream/milk. Add to dry ingredients along with the cheese and mix until just combined. Bake about 40 minutes (use toothpick test). Cool 10 minutes and then turn out to platter.


My oven is misbehaving so I had to bake my bread quite a bit longer. Next time I will cook it even longer to get it nice and brown on top....I just got tired of waiting!


Enjoy!





By the way, do you love the potholder fabric? It's Henry....of course! I am thinking about adding some of these to my shop.

2 comments:

  1. This recipe made me want to dig right in and have a piece :) mmmmmm. I plan on making this in the near future..thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe looks fantastic but it won't let me select and print. I hate writing down recipes (I've got horrible handwriting!). Oh well...

    ReplyDelete