So, the other day I came across an article that demonstrated how if you plant the base of celery (remove and use stalks of grocery store purchased celery reserving just the base) it will sprout new stalks. It seemed too simple, but I tried it and after just one week I have a lot of new shoots coming from the base producing new celery stalks. I am hoping that once they get large enough to cut and eat that they will be nice and firm. I'll keep you updated on their progress. I planted the base in shallow soil with the top barely covered. I have made sure to water them every other day or so as I read that celery appreciates lots of water.
One day we hope to have a "real" garden, but in the meantime we are experimenting with growing things in our flower bed. When we moved in 3 years ago, there was an already prepped flower bed with some ground covering vines growing and plenty of good rich soil. Now in the flower bed and in some potted planters placed in the flower bed we have the following growing: celery, rosemary, oregano, basil, aloe vera and jalapeños.
We are also going to being worm composting soon. I have the worm bin on hand and am gathering some supplies to start the composting bed for them. The actual red worms have officially been ordered from Ebay this weekend and should be here on or before Thursday. Can't wait for their arrival! I will update with the worm composting progress.